Yogurt Chicken Kebabs Recipe
If you’ve never tried yogurt chicken kebabs, you don’t know what you’re missing out on. Be sure to try this recipe, you will be grateful to me.
This is part 2 of a 4-part recipe series with my friends from Yoplait on 4 easy, creative ways to incorporate more yogurt into our diets! For these recipes I’ll be using YQ Plain yogurt – it is ultra filtered milk and packed with protein. A 5 oz serving has 17g protein and 1g sugar.
If you struggle with overcooking your chicken, try using a yogurt-based marinade. Yogurt helps break down the protein in chicken so it is moist and tender and flavorful with every bite. Toss in some spice and/or herbs and you have juicy chicken that is properly seasoned.
The first step is to chop chicken breasts. The next step is making a marinade. Add plain yogurt in a bowl with garlic, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, cayenne for some heat, lemon zest, freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
Add chicken breast pieces to a sealable plastic bag with marinade. Mix everything together, so that every piece of chicken is completely covered with marinade. Marinade the chicken for 2 hours in the fridge. For the best results, refrigerate overnight.
When the chicken is ready, grab a wooden skewer and assemble the kebabs. Place them on a baking rack lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes at 420 F.
Yogurt marinated chicken is a really easy recipe. Great thing about it is that you can customize the marinade using your favorite seasonings and spices.
Serve on a plate and garnish with fresh cilantro or chives. Enjoy it with your choice of side such as fragrant jasmine, basmati rice or baked potato. Add steamed or grilled veggies to complete the meal.
Whenever you marinate it in yogurt, it turns out much more moist, tender and delicious.
Yogurt Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Ingredients for 4 hearty kabobs:
- 1 1/4 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (I used YQ plain)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- wooden skewers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Mix together the ingredients for a marinade in a bowl. Place the chicken breast in a sealable plastic bag then pour in the marinade. Squeeze out all the air from the bag and seal it closed. Mix and mash the bag to completely cover every piece of chicken.
- Marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour but for best results, marinate overnight.
- After marinating, assemble the kabobs. Set oven to 420F. Evenly divide the kabob pieces into 5 separate wooden skewers. Discard the leftover marinade from the chicken.
- Place the kabobs on a baking rack or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until the outside edges are brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or chives and enjoy with your choice of side for meal prep. I suggest a fragrant jasmine or basmati rice and steamed veggies.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.