Vegan BBQ Beans with Tahini Sauce – Vegan Meal Prep
Today’s meal prep was inspired by an experience I had when traveling in Israel. This chef made an amazing farm-to-table spread for us and included these stone oven roasted/charred sweet potatoes, topped with slow cooked lentils, tahini and some feta. Delicious!
Got me thinking that it would be an incredible meal prep recipe, particularly a good lunch or post-workout meal. So, I had to create my own version, but of course with some southern mojo.
VEGAN BBQ BAKED BEANS RECIPE
- Place dried red beans in a bowl, add 4 cups of water and soak the beans overnight for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add olive oil, red onion, garlic and celery to a dutch oven (or slow cooker) and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the seasonings and bloom the spices together for about a minute. Then add the remaining ingredients – except the sweet potato. Mix together, bring the dutch oven to a simmer. Place in the oven at 350F for 5 hours until beans are tender.
- Wash sweet potatoes under cold weather to remove dirt, poke a few holes in the sweet potato using forks, then bake for 45 minutes or until tender at 350F.
- Check on the baked beans one final time and season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Slice open the sweet potato and fluff out the insides with a fork. Add your sized portion of red beans to the baked sweet potato. Add creamy tahini sauce (see below) to the top of the beans, then garnish with green onion.
Approximate macros for 1 serving of BBQ beans WITH a medium sweet potato:
172 calories, 40g carbohydrates, 0g fat, 3g protein, 6g fiber, 8g sugar
Tip: slice the sweet potato in half to eat in two separate meals in order to reduce the amount of carbohydrates in a serving.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 300 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
Add all the ingredients to a food processor and puree. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Add water and/or lemon and puree until you reach your desired consistency.