Healthy Red Beans & Brown Rice Medley
Red Beans and Brown Rice Medley Recipe
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to let stand for at least 8 hours or overnight, then drain and rinse the beans.
- Cook rice according to the instructions given and then set aside. Pro-tip: try frozen brown rice as a time-saver.
- Set a heavy bottomed pot on medium heat. Once hot, add avocado oil onion, celery and poblano pepper. Cook for about 2 – 3 minutes until the onions turn brown and slightly translucent. Add the garlic and seasonings and cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add red and white beans and stir thoroughly to ensure every bean is covered in oil and seasonings. Then add the broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Once it is simmering, add the bay leaves, then lower the temperature and partially cover and cook, while stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours. For the final 20 – 30 minutes of cooking remove the lid so more of the broth can evaporate.
- Continue to cook until a majority of the broth has reduced and the beans have become like a stew. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Spoon brown rice into bowls and ladle red bean mix over the rice. Garnish with green onion, serve and enjoy!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.