Mediterranean Diet – Seafood Soup
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons (vegan) butter
- 4oz lower calorie Sauvignon Blanc, I used Cupcake Lighthearted
- 1lb raw (blue) mussels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 oz lower calorie Sauvignon Blanc, I used Cupcake Lighthearted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons The Fit Cook Sea seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons The Fit Cook Land seasoning
- 6 cups low sodium seafood broth (or chicken broth)
- 7oz no salt added tomato paste (NOT tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomato, I used fire roasted kind
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 lb white fish (sea bass or halibut recommended), cut into 1-inch cubes
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped
Soak the mussels in cold water for 30 minutes – 1 hour before cooking. Then drain and set aside for cooking.
Set a pot on medium heat. Once hot, add butter and white wine and bring to a simmer. Add mussels then cover and steam for 5 – 8 minutes, or until the shells begin to pop open. Note: if the mussel is open BEFORE steaming, then I recommend tossing it. Then set the pot aside.
Place a large (Dutch oven) pot on medium heat, then add olive oil and onions. Sautée for 3-5 minutes then add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add white wine and allow the onions to be reduced by half.
Add the rest of the seasonings and stir to mix well. Add the bay leaves, bring to a gentle simmer, then cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, add the seafood to the soup – mussels, sea bass and shrimp – then reduce the heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes on low heat.
Remove from the heat, then garnish and enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!