Low Carb Cajun Shrimp Bowl
Ingredients for 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 12oz andouille chicken sausage, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into large chunks
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend (OR low sodium spicy cajun seasoning)
- 2lb cauliflower pearls/rice
- 4 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 6oz tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt & pepper to tast
Set a large nonstick pot on high heat. Once hot, add oil and shrimp. Sear and cook the shrimp until plump and sear marks appear along the edges, about 5 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pot.
Add the chopped sausage and cook for 2 minutes to get a good sear.
Reduce the heat to medium and add garlic, onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the onions turn brown and translucent.
Fold in the cauliflower rice and my cajun spice mix. Continuously fold everything together, ensuring all the ingredients are covered in seasoning.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer on LOW heat. Halfway cover the pot and cook until about 85% of the liquid has been evaporated, leaving a creamy thick “rice” mixture, at least 20 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves, fold in the shrimp and season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!