Firecracker Cauliflower “Wings”
Here’s a spicy take on cauliflower wing using a quick “firecracker” sauce! But really, this is a good base recipe to make cauliflower wings – just swap out the spices and the sauce!
Ingredients for 3 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower, florets removed (or use 25oz florets)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Quick Firecracker Sauce
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red chili garlic sauce (or Sriracha)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- add fresh lime juice as needed to help reduce saltiness & spiciness
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot + 1 tablespoon water
- sesame seeds
- green onion
- OPTIONAL Dipping Sauce
- 6oz plain oat yogurt + 2 tablespoons miso paste + 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest + juice from 1 lime + low sodium soy sauce to taste
Set oven to 410F/210C.
Chop the florets from the head of cauliflower to have individual pieces (florets).
Mix together the ingredients for the batter. Dip each floret in the batter, gently shake the excess batter from it, then place the floret on a baking tray lined with parchment. Repeat until all cauliflower has been used. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, flipping the florets over halfway through the cooking cycle.
Mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
Place a skillet on medium heat and once hot, pour in the sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer, then pour in the arrowroot mix and stir IMMEDIATELY so the sauce does not clump or get slimy. Pro-tip: remove the skillet from the heat after you stir in the arrowroot to prevent clumping or sliminess.
Add the baked cauliflower wings to a bowl, allow to cool slightly – about 7 – 10 minutes – then pour in the sauce and gently fold everything together.
Garnish and enjoy as-is or with a dipping sauce!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!