Vegan Buttermilk Air-Fried Oysters
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 cups oyster mushrooms, pulled into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups oat milk (or your choice of plant-based milk; I prefer oat because it’s slightly thicker)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend (OR a low-sodium cajun blend)
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour OR all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons The Fit Cook Southern Creole blend (OR a low-sodium cajun blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- spray avocado oil (or coconut oil or grapeseed oil)
Set air fryer to 400F.
Wash, rinse and dry the oyster pieces.
In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the “buttermilk.” In a separate large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the dry ingredients.
PRO-TIP:marinate the oysters in the buttermilk for 10 – 15 minutes. This will help them become more moist and help the flour to stick to the oyster better. After marinating, gently shake the oysters free from the buttermilk and place on a plate.
Dip each oyster in the buttermilk bowl, then the flour bowl, then the buttermilk bowl AGAIN, and then the flour bowl AGAIN, and then onto the air-fryer basket. Repeat.
Once all the oysters are in the basket, generously spray them with avocado oil (or grapeseed, coconut or any other high smoke point oil).
Cook them in increments of 5 minutes for 15 minutes. Every 5 minutes, I either flip them over AND/OR lightly spray any pieces that still have “white” flour to ensure they are frying in the basket. Repeat if you have to do this in batches.
Enjoy fresh out of the air fryer with some flaked sea salt and your choice of plant based dipping sauce. I mixed plain almond yogurt with garlic powder, onion powder, lemon and chives for a super delicious treat!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hey, I'm Kevin
My name is Kevin. My life changed when I realized that healthy living is a lifelong journey, mainly won by having a well-balanced diet and maintaining an active lifestyle.
By experimenting in the kitchen and sharing my meals on Tumblr, I learned healthy eating is not boring! By making a few adjustments to my favorite foods, I could design a diet that could help me achieve my wellness goals while satisfying my desire for BANGIN food! 😅 Now I try to help people around the world realize that same level of freedom in eating regardless of budget. Welcome, let's #DemocratizeWellness together!