BBQ Chicken Salad with Avocado Crema
BBQ Chicken Salad Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Ingredients for 4 servings
- Olive oil spray
- 1 1/4lb raw chicken breast (or tenders)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- 8 tablespoons low-calorie BBQ sauce
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 large head green leaf lettuce
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped**
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped**
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, slices
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- fresh cilantro
- green onion
- low-carb flatbread wrap or tortilla
** Note: Alternatively you can just use 1 large bell pepper.
- Set oven to 420F.
- Season chicken breast with garlic, onion and sea salt & pepper.
- Set a skillet on high heat. Once hot, spray with olive oil then toss in corn. Allow the corn to sear for about 3 to 5 minutes before stirring in the skillet. As you stir, add a pinch of sea salt & pepper, then remove it from the skillet.
- Set the skillet back on medium-high heat and spray with a bit more olive oil. Add the chicken breast and allow the chicken to sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, until the outside edges are brown. Then reduce the heat to medium and pour in the BBQ sauce. Toss the chicken in the sauce, then place the entire skillet in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, add the contents of the salad to a large cutting board or sheet. Using the sharpest knife in your kitchen, while being extremely careful, chop up the salad. As you chop, mix the salad together so that the salad naturally mixes and its natural flavors meld together.
- Place the chopped contents in a large mixing bowl, then add in the chopped corn and any other garnish such as more fresh cilantro or fresh green onion.
- Enjoy the salad with a serving of BBQ chicken with some avocado crema as dressing.
Alternatively, you can chop up a serving of chicken, mix it in with the salad and stuff it in a whole wheat wrap.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
Quick Avocado Crema
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Ingredients for 28 servings (14oz)
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro with stem
- juice from 2 limes
- 3/4 cup water
- sea salt & pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper and add more water (or lime juice) to thin it out as desired.