Here’s an easy and hearty stuffed bell pepper recipe that I created for the 5-Day Vegan Challenge. I tossed in a little soyrizo to add some Latin-flavor and boost the level of protein. The end result – deliciousness.
Ingredients for 6 stuffed bell pepper (halves):
- 220g soyrizo (optional)
- 3 colorful bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, drained
- 8oz tomato sauce, no salt (or natural ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 tablespoon cumin
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- spray olive oil
- shredded cashew cheese or soy cheese (optional)
- Set oven to 420F.
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions provided and set it aside.
- First, slice open some bell peppers with a sharp knife and carve out the inside. Place the bell pepper halves face down on a baking dish and bake for about 15 minutes at 420F.
- While they’re baking, spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil and toss in soyrizo. Chop and cook the soyrizo in the for about 5 minutes until all the sides are brown.
- To a bowl, add cooked quinoa, black beans, the soyrizo, tomato sauce, cilantro, chipotle chili powder, cumin and sea salt & pepper. Thoroughly mix it up.
- Evenly divide the mixture among the bell pepper halves. If desired, cover each bell pepper with vegan shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for roughly 25 minutes at 420F.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 stuffed bell peppers (without vegan cheese):
245 calories, 13g protein, 37g carbohydrates, 7g fat, 9g fiber, 3g sugar