It’s that time again – and truthfully, it never really stops being this time for me (in Texas) – time to fire up the grill for meal prep, family dinner or cookout. People are often surprised to know that my favorite meal to make for myself is flank steak and (sweet) potatoes – I guess they think it would be something pretty elaborate or hard to pronounce but I’m pretty simple for the most part.
But that doesn’t mean I can’t use a little creativity to spruce up one of my favorite meals! Next time you want to fire up the grill or get a hankering for steak, think about trying something new and stuffing that steak with some of your favorite veggies.
The smoky flavors from the grill bring this meal to life (and instantly you take on a journey to the South); however, it’s just as easy and delicious to make in your oven!
- ~1.75lb raw flank steak, trimmed with no large pieces of visible fat
- Veggie stuffing
- 2 cups chopped greens (kale or spinach)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup pico de gallo (tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno)
- 1/2 cup feta or goat cheese crumble (I recommend goat cheese because it makes a creamier filling)
- Set grill or oven to 275F.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the stuffing. Feel free to make this dish your own by using your favorite veggies such as zucchini/squash, cabbage and even mushrooms. Instead of pico de gallo, try sundried tomatoes to completely change the flavors of this dish.
- Make the flank steak thinner by cutting in half so that it is easier to roll and stuff. If necessary, use a food mallet to pound the flank steak and thin it out even more.
- Stuff the flank steak with the veggie mixture, then roll it up.
- If you’re using a grill, place the flank on the grill with the flap (i.e., open end) facing down so that the steak bakes closed. If you’re using an oven, place the flank on a baking sheet with the flap facing down as well.
- Grill/smoke or bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Enjoy with roasted red potatoes (seasoned with rosemary, garlic, sea salt & pepper).
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 rolls (each roll is roughly 7oz flank steak but this will vary depending on the thickness of the flank after it is sliced):
395 calories, 47g protein, 10g carbs, 19g fat, 2g fiber, 5g sugar