Don’t have a slow cooker or crockpot and you’re pressed for time? Try cooking chicken breasts in simmering water and then pulling them apart. And the best thing is, depending on how much chicken breast you boil, you can divide it into different portions and flavor them differently so you can enjoy various flavors for the entire week! Chicken salad, “smothered” chicken and BBQ pulled chicken – the options are nearly endless. Add sweet potato and you have the ultimate post workout meal.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1.5lb chicken breast
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 250g each)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Homemade smoky BBQ sauce:
- 1/2 cup no sodium tomato sauce
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (you can use organic raw honey, or 2 packets Stevia in the raw to lessen sugar)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- pepper to taste
- Optional toppings:
- 4 tbsp black beans (1 for each serving)
- 4 tbsp goat cheese (1 for each serving)
- green onions
*Remember to tweak the recipe to fit your diet and goals. To reduce the amount of carbs, consider using 1/2 sweet potato instead of a whole one and use low/zero calorie sweetener such as Stevia.*
- Set oven to 350F. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 1.5 hour or until the sweet potatoes are soft (not mushy).
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil on high heat. Add minced garlic to the water and reduce heat to a simmer (on low-medium heat) and toss in chicken breasts. Cook for about 35 minutes.
- Pull chicken apart using a fork and your hands and place in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients to make the BBQ sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the pulled/shredded chicken and stir with a spatula. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper but don’t get too carried away!
- Slice open a sweet potato. Add 1 serving of pulled chicken (about 4 oz) and then your desired toppings.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 servings with the optional ingredients:
417 calories, 44g protein, 50g carbs, 4g fat, 8g fiber, 14g sugar
PIN AND SHARE