If you’re like me, you love lasagna! Only things I dislike are the facts that I tend to overeat and really have no idea how many approximate calories and macros are in servings. But, that all changes with these lasagna rollups!
Perfect for weekly meal prep and dinner. Plus, it is a kid-friendly recipe so you shouldn’t have to worry about picky eaters at the dinner table. And by using this method, you can have a much better idea of the amount of calories and macronutrients you are putting in to your body, thereby making it much easier to achieve and accelerate fitness goals!
Ingredients for 8 rolls:
- 8 brown rice lasagna sheets (or whole wheat)
- 1.25 lb lean ground turkey (93% lean)
- 15oz unsalted tomato sauce
- 2 chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic (paste or minced)
- Creamy spinach sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1.25 cup chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
- fresh chopped parsley
- coconut oil spray
- Set oven to 375F.
- Boil whole wheat or brown rice lasagna sheets according to the instructions given on the package. **Be very careful not to overcook them. You want them to be soft, yet firm so they will hold once you roll them.** When they are finished cooking, rinse them under cold water and place them on parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the creamy spinach sauce and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Spray a skillet with coconut oil and set on medium high heat. Sauté red onions and mushrooms with garlic. Cook until the onion has browned and turned clear.
- Add the lean ground turkey and cook. Chop the turkey with a wooden spatula as it cooks in order to break it up and make it as fine as possible.
- Add the seasonings, oregano and red pepper, and stir and chop.
- When the turkey is about 90% cooked, pour in the tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes. Continue stirring until the meat is completely cooked. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Evenly spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the creamy spinach mixture on one of the lasagna sheets. Then, add about 2 – 3 tablespoons of the marinara. Roll it up and place it in a baking dish.
- Pour the remaining marinara over the lasagna rolls, then sprinkle the mozzarella on top.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, then bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 rolls:
276 calories, 25g protein, 23g carbs, 8g fat, 2g fiber, 4g sugar