This post is also available in: Spanish
Bodybuilding and eating healthy on a budget is possible! You just need a little creativity and a willingness to try new things. Instead of using pasta sheets, use slices of sweet potato. Not only is it delicious, but also it is heart healthy and a solid complex carbohydrate that you can integrate into your diet in a new, exciting way.
Ingredients for 1 of 4 servings:
- 1.5 lb lean ground turkey
- 400g sweet potato (100g each lasagna, thinly sliced)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 15oz organic tomato sauce (no salt)
- 1/3 cup mushrooms
- 1/3 cup red onions
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- ~1/2 cup chopped cilantro (use as desired)
- Seasonings: 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, sea salt, pepper
- Set oven to 375F.
- Slice sweet potato using a mandolin or sharp knife and separately chop up tomatoes, onions and mushrooms.
- Mix cottage cheese with egg white and set aside.
- Sauté red onions with garlic paste, then add meat, tomatoes, cilantro, mushrooms, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning.
- Build lasagna. Add sweet potato slices, meat sauce, cottage cheese and then repeat. Top with mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375F.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 servings:
404 calories, 34g carbs, 7g fat, 53g protein, 5g fiber, 13g sugar