Sometimes, it’s good to go back to basics in order to remind ourselves that healthy eating doesn’t have to be overly complicated and that we can “keep it simple,” yet nutritious and delicious.
Here’s one of my go-to breakfast meals that even after all these years, still leaves me satisfied and energized to tackle the day.
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices turkey bacon (nitrite free, natural, uncured)
- 75g chopped sweet potato
- 75g chopped (red or purple) fingerling potato
- 1 cup spinach
- 8oz glass skim milk
- Spice Cave Wind seasoning (recommended)
- sea salt
- Set oven to 420F.
- Chop sweet potato and red potato into pieces, then place them on a nonstick baking sheet or parchment paper. Spray the potatoes with olive oil and then add a few pinches of sea salt & pepper. If desired, add in freshly chopped herbs such as rosemary and sage, or you can use Spice Cave Wind seasoning. Rub the potatoes in the seasonings and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil and set it on medium high heat.
- Toss in turkey bacon and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until the edges become crispy. For crispier bacon, spray the turkey with olive oil while it cooks in the skillet.
- Once the bacon is nearly finished cooking, add eggs and then add spinach. Cook eggs sunny-side up or according to your preferences. Cook the spinach until it begins to wilt and soften which should take about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, bacon and spinach to a plate and measure out your serving of roasted potatoes.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
Approximate macros for 1 serving with 8oz glass of skim milk:
458 calories, 38g protein, 43g carbs, 13g fat, 4g fiber, 8g sugar