Just like salty, crunchy sweet potato chips, I cannot get enough of turkey wrapped asparagus. Easy to prepare, high in protein, includes vegetables, and most of all, delicious.
If you’re looking to add some variety and additional flavor try brushing the wrapped spears with low sodium BBQ sauce mixed with organic, raw honey to make a delicious, sweet glaze. Also try homemade teriyaki sauce, spicy mustard mixed with organic, raw honey, or even homemade lemon glaze – the options are virtually endless.
Original recipe here.
Ingredients PER spear:
- 1 oz low sodium turkey meat (nitrate free, natural)
- 1 thick asparagus spear
- 1/2 tsp BBQ sauce (or favorite low-fat sauce)
- Set oven to 450F.
- Wash then chop the ends (bottoms) off the asparagus.
- Wrap asparagus in 1 oz turkey meat.
- Sear the wrapped asparagus in non-stick skillet on medium-high heat for 2 minutes so the turkey is “cooked shut” or sealed.
- Remove and place on a baking rack or sheet. Rub with BBQ sauce.
- Bake in the oven for no more than 5 minutes so that the asparagus remains semi-firm.
Approximate macros per 1 SPEAR:
28 calories, 6g protein, 1g carb, 1g fat, <1g fiber, 0g sugar