This post is also available in: Spanish
Rise and shine and break the rules of breakfast! The days of only eating oatmeal and egg whites are over – enter the age of creative, healthy eating. Great option when you have a few extra moments in the morning, or you are making brunch for family and friends.
This is a follower-requested recipe based off a picture I recently posted to Instagram.
It is also inspired by my egg & turkey bacon stuffed avocado recipe that I shared in 2013.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 raw medium sweet potato (~400g)
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices turkey leg bacon (uncured & nitrate free, I prefer Applegate brand)**
- fresh rosemary
- sea salt
** – denotes Optional ingredient
- Set oven to 400F.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes until they are soft, yet still a little firm. If they are too soft, we will not be able to use them.
- TIP: if the sweet potatoes are too thin or not thick enough, I advise baking two sweet potatoes. Then, you can skim the tops off – about 1/3 off the top – of the baked sweet potatoes, making it easier to carve a hole deep enough for the egg.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half and carve out part of the inside in order to make a hole for the egg.
- Use the leftover sweet potato to make a delicious mash with cinnamon and coconut oil, or you can use it as topping for my Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
- If you use bacon, wrap one slice of turkey bacon around the inside hole in the sweet potato. If it is easier, you can slice the bacon into individual pieces and then wrap around the inside of the sweet potato.
- Crack an egg into a bowl. First pour the egg white in the hole, then add the egg yolk.
- If you are worried about overcooking the egg yolk in the oven or undercooking the egg white, then only add in the egg white. Bake the sweet potato with only the egg white and when the egg white is nearly finished, about 90%, remove it from the oven, add the egg yolk, then place it back in the oven to finish baking.
- Bake these in the oven for 25 minutes at 400F, or until all the egg white has been cooked.
- Season, garnish and devour. Serve immediately while warm.
Approximate macros for 1 serving with 1 slice turkey bacon and ~200g sweet potato:
295 calories,17g protein, 41g carbs, 7g fat, 7g fiber, 17g sugar