Sweet Potato & Chicken Patties
Today, we are making delicious chicken patties from two main ingredients.
Continuing with my recent article on avoiding food waste – in honor of Earth Day on April 22, 2017 – I wanted to share another way to use overly dry chicken breasts and leftover baked sweet potatoes or red potatoes. And that’s to create delicious patties that you can enjoy with a mixed green salad or your favorite grilled vegetables.
You’ll want to start with setting the oven to 420F. In the meantime, we will make some patties. Use leftover, cooked chicken breast and blend in a food processor.
In a large bowl, place cold sweet potato and mash up with the fork. In the same bowl, beat one egg and add ground chicken, onions, cheese, and flour. Season with smoked paprika, onion powder, minced garlic or powder, and just a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Take a spatula and mix everything together to compound.
Form chicken burgers with your hands. Make 4 or 5 patties regular size and place them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm. If you have a lack of time, you can prepare this mixture in the evening, leave it in the fridge, and bake it the next day.
For cooking, you can either use a nonstick skillet or an air fryer. Cooking time for each patty is only 2 minutes per site. If you are using a skillet, add some olive or coconut oil and heat up on a medium. Dust each burger with panko crumbs and sear them on both sides equally. Then, place the skillet in the oven to cook for 6 to 8 more minutes.
Remove them from the oven and put them on a plate. You can add a side of fresh salad or grilled veggies. The best chicken patties are ready for eating!
If you are preparing lunch for the whole family, I am sure that your children will also adore these burgers because they are made of chicken and are very light and tasty.
Enjoy, my fit foodies!
Sweet Potato & Chicken Patties
- Set oven to 420F.
- Place a leftover, cooked chicken breast in a food processor and pulse blend to shred.
- Mash up COLD (from the refrigerator) sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Beat an egg then, add it to the bowl along with shredded chicken, green onions, goat cheese, coconut flour and seasonings. Mix everything together using a spatula. If you find the mixture is too lose or wet, add teaspoons of coconut flour until it thickens and easily moldable.
- Form equal-sized patties with your hands, about 4 large or 5 regular, then place them back in the refrigerator for at least 2o minutes in order to become more firm.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and add oil. Allow the oil to heat up. Before placing the patties in the skillet, lightly dust them on all sides with the wheat panko crumbs. Sear on each side for about 1 to 2 minutes per side, then place the entire skillet in the oven to cook for an additional 6 – 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy with a salad or your favorite grilled vegetables.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 patties:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!