Slow Cooker Gumbo | Low-Carb Edition
We are cranking the spice and flavor up in our diet with Cajun cuisine! We’re putting a spin on a seafood classic, gumbo. Technically, it’s hard to imagine gumbo without seafood, but we’re doing this to make it meal prep and budget friendly. We’re boosting the fats a bit as well to make this easier for those following a keto diet.
Keto Chicken Gumbo
- Turn on the saute function on the slow cooker, then add 1 tablespoon olive oil and chopped chicken thighs. Saute for about 6 to 8 minutes until the thighs are cooked. Remove, then toss in smoked turkey sausage. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, then remove.
- Add the remaining olive oil, garlic, red onion, bell pepper, celery and okra to the slow cooker and continuously stir so: (a) nothing sticks; and (b) to brown the okra so that it won’t create a slimy gumbo, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add Cajun seasoning and mix together to bloom the spices. Add arrowroot starch and stir again. Slowly add the chicken broth while continuing to stir.
- Fold in the chicken and the turkey sausage. Give it a stir, the toss in 2 bay leaves and bring it to simmer.
- Change the setting to slow cooker and cook on medium-high for 4 hours. Enjoy with raw or cooked cauliflower rice to keep it low carb yet satisfying.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.