Slow Cooker Gumbo | Low-Carb Edition
This slow cooker chicken gumbo recipe is the king of slow cooker chicken. A crock pot or pressure cooker makes this one of the easiest gumbo recipes to put together. Chicken and sausage gumbo is a staple in cajun cuisine, although you may also see sausage and shrimp gumbo too. You can use frozen okra instead of fresh, and here I sub out andouille sausage for turkey sausage. This recipe has a lot of chopping, but the good part is your diced bell peppers, onions, and celery can be used for a lot of other recipes too. Just take a look around my site and my Youtube for more ideas.
The most important thing is the seasoning recipe. You want to get the flavors just right so that it has a kick but is not so spicy that you can’t enjoy it. While gumbo is traditionally served with rice, for a low carb keto friendly version, you can use cauliflower rice instead. All you have to do is grate a head of cauliflower into rice sized pieces, or pulse in a food processor until the desired size and then a quick steam or saute and you have cauliflower rice to enjoy with this tasty stew. This chicken gumbo freezes and reheats well, so you can make a big batch and portion it out for weeknight meals and grab and go lunches. Just heat and serve and you have an easy and filling meal that doesn’t break your back or your bank.
If you enjoyed this chicken and sausage gumbo recipe, please send me a message or drop me a comment below. I would love to hear how my recipes have changed your ideas of what healthy food could be. To me, nothing is more important than making it easy for you to reach your weight loss and fitness goals while also eating tasty and filling food. Be happy and healthy!
Keto Chicken Gumbo
- Turn on the saute function on the slow cooker, then add 1 tablespoon olive oil and chopped chicken thighs. Saute for about 6 to 8 minutes until the thighs are cooked. Remove, then toss in smoked turkey sausage. Cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, then remove.
- Add the remaining olive oil, garlic, red onion, bell pepper, celery and okra to the slow cooker and continuously stir so: (a) nothing sticks; and (b) to brown the okra so that it won’t create a slimy gumbo, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add Cajun seasoning and mix together to bloom the spices. Add arrowroot starch and stir again. Slowly add the chicken broth while continuing to stir.
- Fold in the chicken and the turkey sausage. Give it a stir, the toss in 2 bay leaves and bring it to simmer.
- Change the setting to slow cooker and cook on medium-high for 4 hours. Enjoy with raw or cooked cauliflower rice to keep it low carb yet satisfying.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.