One-Skillet Healthy Paella
Looking for a quick and easy healthy breakfast or perhaps a comfort food? Worry no more! For now I present you to this healthy paella! This one-skillet version of paella is perfect for a post-workout healthy meal, family dinner, or even for your weekly meal prep.
First, what is paella? It’s a Spanish dish that usually consists of rice, chicken, saffron, and seafood. It’s then slow cooked in low heat in a pan to make the flavors come together.
To make this nutritious dish you only need ingredients that are very easy to find on markets and groceries. You can also add other veggies and seasoning that you like — such as bell peppers, olive oil, sugar snap peas, thyme, chorizo, etc.
Plus it’s very easy to make. All you need to do is cook your proteins then add some vegetables that you want and season it according to your liking. It may look hard but I swear, this is easier than the regular, full-blown traditional paella.
This dish is perfect for everyone’s special diets. Just a little tweak depending on what diet you’re into. It’s packed with protein, potassium, dietary fibers, calcium, iron, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
Craving for this mouthwatering dish already? Add this now on your meal plan and share this savory moment with your loved ones. I’m sure that your muscles and tastebuds will thank you regardless of when you’ll eat this.
Also, make sure to leave a comment below or send me an email on your experiences, insights and even the adjustments that you’ve made on this meal.
Knowing that you’re enjoying the meals I’ve worked hard for in my kitchen matters to me so much. It overwhelms to know that you’re achieving your fitness and weight loss easily without depriving yourselves of yummy and filling foods.
One-Skillet Healthy Paella
Ingredients for 6 servings (or more):
- 1.5lb chicken breasts
- 1/2lb jumbo shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups cooked short grain brown rice or Arborio rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or minced garlic)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to the instructions given and set aside. To save time and space in the kitchen, I use a rice cooker to prepare the rice.
- Chop raw chicken breasts into small pieces. Then, chop the shrimp into small pieces.
- Set a (cast-iron) skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Once it has melted, add red onion and garlic paste. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until the edges of the red onion have browned.
- Toss in raw, chopped chicken breasts and cook until the chicken is about 75% cooked. Do not be alarmed if some parts of the chicken are still pink.
- Toss in raw shrimp and stir with wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the shrimp is about 75% cooked.
- Add paprika and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Stir.
- Then, add cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Stir and reduce heat to medium.
- Pour in chicken broth and then add saffron. Allow the contents to simmer and gently stir. Allow it cook for about 3 minutes. If you would like, add fresh lemon juice.
- Lastly, add frozen peas and stir. Allow the paella to simmer for about 5 minutes, then garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
FEEL FREE TO PIN
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!