Kjötsúpa Icelandic Lamb Soup Recipe
It seems like Iceland is on everyone’s travel bucket list lately – and for good reason! There’s more to the country than amazing, picturesque landscapes and arguably the world’s most beautiful natural, hot springs. There’s also darn good food!
One of the tastiest foods I tried while there was kjötsúpa, Icelandic meat (lamb) soup. It was simple, satisfying, warming and delicious. The veggies were chopped into small pieces so each bite on my spoon had lamb, mixed veggies and savory, herb broth. I could eat it all day…
So, just in time for colder weather in the US, here’s a quickie, slow-cooker Instant Pot version of Icelandic lamb soup Kjötsúpa.
Icelandic Meat Soup Recipe
- Set slow cooker to the Saute function on medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and onions and saute for about 3 minutes until the onions turn brown and slightly translucent.
- Increase the heat to high, then add the lamb and herbs. Sear the lamb on the outside to lock in the flavor of the herbs for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the cabbage. Stir everything together then cook on medium heat for 4 hours.
- When 1 hour remains, add the chopped cabbage to the soup and stir. Continue cooking for remaining time.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 300 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.