Hearty Quinoa Mac and Chilli
Two foods we have all come to love – macaroni and cheese, and good ole’ Texas chilli. So, why not combine these two amazing dishes to make a muscle-building meal and a family favorite? Try Mac and Chilli.
So, replace traditional chilli mac and cheese with this nutritious and absolutely delicious recipe with ground beef and homemade chilli!
The good thing about chilli is that nearly everyone has their own way of making it. So, it’s an easy meal to customize to complement your healthy diet and fitness goals. This version is packed with quality, lean protein and complex carbohydrates. Also, it has a lot of proteins per one serving.
Set medium-high heat and on and spray your skillet with oil from your choice. I usually use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Once it’s hot, add the chopped onions.
Cook onions until they turn brown. Add the ground meat and stir until it’s almost done. Now toss in diced tomatoes, black kidney beans, chicken broth. Add some seasonings and bring it to a boil.
When it starts to boil, add quinoa macaroni. Mix it all and then cook for no more than 15 minutes, or until it’s cooked completely.
Remove from the heat and season with some salt and pepper. Serve immediately while still hot.
If you are cooking for more than one meal, store only for 3 days, no more. Keep it in the fridge and freeze the rest. Defrost the food in the refrigerator the night before you are going to eat it.
Try the best healthy homemade chilli pot today! Remember to customize this recipe to complement your diet and fitness goals, so you can enjoy it without guilt!
Don’t forget to share this recipe with all of your friends and family. Have a great day and enjoy the new recipe, fit foodies!
Hearty Quinoa Mac and Chilli
Ingredients for at least 5 servings:
- 24oz (1.5lb) 99% lean ground beef
- 8oz uncooked quinoa macaroni shells (or whole wheat macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced or paste)
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 diced Roma tomatoes
- 15oz canned black beans (low sodium)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- one teaspoon smoked paprika
- one teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- avocado slices
- cheddar (reduced fat)
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- Set a large skillet on medium high heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Once the skillet is hot, sauté red onion with garlic. Cook the chopped onions until they turn brown and become translucent.
- Toss in the ground meat, and chop and stir the meat until it is nearly 90% cooked. There may be a little pink to the meat, but the vast majority of the ground meat will be brown, signifying it is cooked.
- Then toss in tomatoes, black beans, seasonings and chicken broth. Mix together using a spatula, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, toss in uncooked quinoa macaroni shells. Mix together, then cover and cook the mixture for about 12-15 minutes, or until the macaroni has cooked completely.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, season to taste with sea salt and pepper, and then serve immediately. If you are making this in bulk for your weekly meals, store no more than 3 days worth in the refrigerator and freeze the rest. Defrost the food in the refrigerator the night before you are going to eat it.
Remember to customize this recipe to compliment your diet and fitness goals.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!