Healthy Spanish Rice
If you want to put a Spanish twist on your inner Betty Crocker then you’ll low this easy Spanish rice recipe. It’s tasty, healthy, and very filling which makes it the perfect side dish to any meal or even a good ala carte option for some!
Start by getting all your ingredients together. This includes six small raw tomatoes roughly weighing 275 grams, one large shallot, and the optional addition of black beans. For the rice itself, we recommended a cup of uncooked Basmati.
That being said, you could substitute it with jasmine or brown rice if you prefer. You’ll also need a half tablespoon of olive oil and minced garlic along with a half cup of vegetable stock. If you want more protein in the recipe then you can add a pound of cooked chicken breast.
For the seasonings, get some fresh cilantro, a pinch of sea salt and pepper, a teaspoon of turmeric, half a tablespoon of cumin, and one tablespoon of chili powder for that added kick. Now that all your ingredients are ready, set the oven to 420 F and grab your favorite skillet.
Put the raw tomatoes in your cast-iron skillet (or, if you prefer, baking sheet) then roast them for half an hour. Once you’re done, set the roasted tomatoes aside on a plate.With the same skillet on low-medium heat, add olive oil, shallot, and garlic then saute for two to three minutes.
Be sure to not burn the garlic. Add your seasonings — excluding the salt and pepper — to the skillet then bloom them for a couple of minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high then add your tomatoes and mash them using a spatula to get a saucy consistency.
Cook this for two to three minutes until the sauce becomes fragrant then add your uncooked rice to the skillet and cook for a further two to three minutes. Pour in your veggie stock then add a few pinches of sea salt and pepper.
Lower the heat to low then cover and cook for half an hour unbothered. If you see the rice drying out then add a quarter cup of veggie stock to keep the skillet from burning the dish. Afterward, gently stir and add in your chicken if you want to. Add cilantro garnish then serve!
There you go, a nutritious and delicious meal that will bring Spain to your dining room!
Healthy Spanish Rice
- Set oven to 420F. Place the raw tomatoes in a cast iron skillet (or baking sheet) and roast for 30 minutes. Once finished, remove them from the skillet and set the tomatoes aside.
- Using the same skillet, set it on low-medium heat, then add olive oil, garlic and shallot. Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the seasonings (minus the sea salt & pepper) to the skillet and “bloom” the seasonings for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high heat and add the tomatoes. Gently mash them with a spatula to create a sauce and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until you have a fragrant smelling tomato sauce/paste.
- Add the uncooked rice to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the veggie stock and add a few pinches of sea salt & pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low so there is a slight simmer, then cover and cook for at least 25 minutes unbothered. If you suspect the rice is drying out, simply add about 1/4-1/3 cup veggie stock to the skillet to prevent it from burning.
- After 25 minutes, gently stir it up, then add in your choice of protein, if desired.
- Add garnish. Serve immediately.
Note: Serving size will be about 1/3 cup WITHOUT the added protein.**
Available in the FitMenCook app
Open this recipe in the FitMenCook app to add the ingredients to your shopping list, scale the recipe and track your calories. Enjoy!