Healthy Soul Food Lunchbox: Chicken, Spinach & Yams
Air Fried Cajun Drumsticks
- Set air fryer to 400F, or set your oven to 420F.
- Remove all the skin from drumsticks. Lightly spray the drumsticks with oil, then add TFC Southern Creole blend. Rub it all over the chicken. For best results, let it marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- Add the drumsticks to an air fryer basket, or a baking tray (lined with parchment or foil).
- Air-fry for 12 to 15 minutes OR bake for 16 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish and enjoy!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
- Set a skillet on medium high heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion and half of the garlic (1 tablespoon).
- Caramelize the onions for about 2 minutes, then add cumin and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the spinach, folding everything together so that the spinach wilts. Also, gradually add the veggie broth to the skillet to create steam to wilt the spinach. Repeat until all the spinach has wilted and is in the skillet.
- Lastly, fold in the final tablespoon of fresh garlic.
- Add pinches of sea salt & pepper and lemon juice to taste. Enjoy!
- Set oven to 400F.
- Wash the yams and poke a few holes in them using a fork or knife. Wrap them in nonstick foil, then bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes until soft.
- After baking and slightly cooling (so you can handle them), chop off the ends and remove the skin. Place the flesh in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, then use a potato masher OR an immersion blender (preferred and recommended) to whip the yams.
- Garnish each serving with smoked paprika for added “southern” flavor and inspiration.