Eritrean Inspired Chili & Salad with Injera
Eritrean Chili with Berbere
- Set a pot on medium high heat. Once hot, add oil, onions, garlic and carrot. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the onions are sautéed and slightly brown.
- Add 3 tablespoons of berbere to the pot along with the tomato paste. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until very fragrant. Then add lean ground beef to the pot and chop it up while it cooks. As it the meat begins to cook, sprinkle in the remaining tablespoon of berbere. Continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes, until the meat is nearly finished but there are a few pink pieces left.
- Add the diced tomatoes and garbanzo and fold everything together.
- Reduce the heat to low, then pour in the beef broth. Bring to a light simmer, add a few pinches of sea salt & pepper, then cover and cook for at least 20 minutes and ensure it is not burning in the pot.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper, then garnish. Enjoy with injera OR with brown rice or cauliflower rice.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss together. Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.