This post is also available in: Spanish
Perfect for cold winter days, but good for nearly any occasion.
Ingredients for about 3 servings:
- 6 cups no salt added chicken broth (or you can use 7 cups broth with 2 cups water for added flavor)
- 3 cups water (or 2 cups water with 7 cups broth for added flavor)
- ~1 lb skinless chicken breast
- 4oz brown rice noodles
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- sea salt to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 green cardamom pods/seeds (for extra flavor, break these open)
- 4 cloves
- 1.5 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tbsp lemongrass
- 1 star anise (recommended if you can find it)
- red onion
- green onions
- bean sprouts
- red pepper
- Cut a cheesecloth into a square. Add seasonings to the cheesecloth and then tie a knot around the cheesecloth to secure the seasonings.
- Slice yellow onion into thin pieces.
- Spray a pot with coconut oil and set on medium high heat. Toss in onion and garlic paste. Sauté until the onions brown and become translucent.
- Pour chicken broth and water into the pot and allow it to boil. Reduce heat so that it simmers and add the cheesecloth pouch with the seasonings. Cover and cook for at least 30 minutes. Add sea salt to taste.
- Boil water in a separate pot and toss in chicken breast. Cook for about about 6 to 8 minutes until the chicken has completely cooked, be careful not to overcook. Remove from the water and set aside. Once the chicken has somewhat cooled, pull the chicken apart into pieces.
- In another pot, boil water and cook the brown rice noodles according to the instructions. Careful not to overcook so they do not turn to mush. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- Add your portion of noodles and chicken to a bowl. Pour in the chicken broth, then add the garnish and don’t forget the lime!
Approximate macros for 1 of 3 servings:
339 calories, 31g carbs, 2g fat, 47g protein, 2g fiber, <1g sugar