Being from the South, fried foods are pretty common. But, because of the tons of fatty calories from bread and oil, it certainly doesn’t complement a healthy diet. Here’s a guiltless way to make nearly any fried “meat” dish using two of my favorite ingredients – wheat germ and Kelapo Coconut Oil. This is also a great dish for parties, especially for Game Day.
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 5oz chicken breasts, raw
- 4 tbsp Wheat Germ
- 1 tbsp Flax seed (optional but adds a crunchiness to the batter)
- 1 egg white (or 1 tbsp BBQ sauce or mustard if you have egg allergies, or if you are “frying” veggies and do not want animal products)
- Coconut Oil Spray
- Seasonings: 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, pinch of sea salt & pepper
- Set oven to 375F.
- Wash a chicken breast in cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix wheat germ with seasonings. If you would like to add flax seed, then go ahead.
- Whip an egg white in another bowl. Dip chicken breast strips in the egg white mixture.
- Dip strips in the wheat germ mixture and cover completely.
- Lightly spray a baking pan with Kelapo Coconut Oil. Place “breaded” chicken strips on the baking sheet. Then lightly spray the strips with Kelapo Coconut Oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and devour!
Approximate macros for 1 serving:
324 calories, 49g protein, 16g carbs, 10g fat, 10g fiber, 4g sugar