Even though grilling is a year round activity here in Texas, I realize that it’s not the case in other parts of the US, or world for that matter. To that end, I’m officially kicking off summer grilling here in the FMC Kitchen.
Here’s a fail proof recipe that will make you a backyard neighborhood grilling hero at the next cookout. It combines hearty “meat” of the sea, with hearty “meat” of the land, creating the ultimate surf & turf – beef wrapped scallops!
Texas is known for beef – this is cattle country after all. For that reason, I’m paying homage to my home state – but really here in Texas we function and think of ourselves as a separate country – by using beef bacon. Beef bacon is pretty darn tasty, with salty, crispy edges just like the popular pork bacon that everyone loves.
But not to worry if you cannot find beef bacon in your local grocery store. This recipe works well with turkey bacon and regular pork bacon as well.
Just make sure that whatever bacon you purchase to wrap these juicy creatures of the sea, that it is uncured, nitrate free and natural – from leg/thigh meat.
I paired this summer treat with a delicious mighty green salad. Since this recipe was a little higher in fat than normal, I opted for a hearty lower carbohydrate compliment, a green salad full of asparagus, peas, arugula and mache rosettes just sounded (and tasted) like a winner!
BBQ SCALLOPS RECIPE
Ingredients for 8 wrapped jumbo scallops:
- 1 lb jumbo scallops, about 8
- 8 slices of beef bacon
- substitutes: turkey bacon, pork bacon
- BBQ paste:
- 1 1/4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- chopped cilantro
- sea salt & pepper
- wooden skewers, flat recommended
- Fire up the grill (or oven). I got my grill to 375F. You want it hot enough to crisp the edges of the bacon after a few minutes.
- Place wooden kabob skewers in water. They should soak for at least 20 minutes before placing on the grill in order to mitigate the risk of them burning or catching fire.
- Wrap a piece of (your choice of) bacon around a jumbo scallop. Skewer it with the wooden kabob stick. Repeat for the remaining scallops. Note: I recommend putting no more than 3 wraps on each skewer since you don’t want the kabobs sticks breaking under the weight once you begin handling it.
- Mix together the ingredients for the paste, then lightly brush it on the kabob sticks. And if you want to avoid adding more oil, you can spray the kabobs with olive oil and then dust them with the ingredients instead. Choice is yours!
- Place the kabobs on the grill and cook for about 8 minutes, then flip them over. Cook for an additional 8 – 10 minutes, or until the outside edges of the bacon get crispy!
- Remove the scallops from the grill/heat, allow them to slightly cool, then garnish.
- Remove the scallops from the kabobs and enjoy with the green salad!
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 wrapped scallops using BEEF bacon:
79 calories, 2g carbohydrates, 4g fat, 8g protein, 0g fiber, 2g sugar
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 wrapped scallops using TURKEY bacon:
84 calories, 2g carbohydrates, 4g fat, 11g protein, 0g fiber, 2g sugar