It’s no secret that I love sweet potato almost as much as I love avocado. A few weeks back I visited a cafe in Dallas, TX where they served sweet potato tots. They were delicious and got me thinking that I should create my own calorie-friendly version.
These were my first attempt and they came out pretty good! Darn good, actually. I’ve got some ideas for future versions but this one is definitely a keeper!
Ingredients for about 5 servings:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (~1000g)
- spray olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Set oven to 430F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and remove any visible dirt by rinsing them under warm water. Then, use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin.
- Add water to a pot and bring it to boil. Toss in the peeled sweet potatoes and parboil them for NO MORE than 15 minutes. You want the potatoes firm, yet soft to touch. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool to about room temperature so you can handle them to touch.
- Grate the sweet potatoes into a bowl.
- Grab a small handful of the grated sweet potato and form a small tater tot. Repeat for the remaining grated sweet potato. Place the tots on a baking rack, or nonstick baking sheet, then generously spray them with olive oil and sprinkle a little sea salt on top.
- Bake the tots for 40 minutes and flip them halfway through cooking to ensure all sides are nice and crispy.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
172 calories, 3g protein, 40g carbs, <1g fat, 6g fiber, 8g sugar