Here’s my “secret” way to make one of healthy eating’s and bodybuilding’s most bland meal into a flavorful masterpiece in very little time.
Meal Prep will never be the same…And it shouldn’t be.
Ingredients for 1 large serving:
- 6oz raw chicken breast (or firm tofu or tempeh)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used Annie Chun’s sprouted brown rice I purchased at Kroger)
- 3/4 cup frozen (or raw) broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or olive oil spray to reduce amount of fat)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (or to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice powder (Private Selection brand)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium Tamari (or soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- First, chop chicken breast (or tofu) into small pieces and set it aside.
- Set a nonstick skillet on low-medium heat and add olive oil and garlic. Careful NOT to let the garlic burn. Just let it cook for 1 minute then add chopped green onions. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- After another minute, add cooked brown rice to the skillet, then add the Chinese 5-spice blend. Stir and sear the cooked rice for about 45 seconds and let the aroma fill your kitchen.
- Add 1 tablespoon of low sodium Tamari (or soy sauce) and after about 1 minute of searing the rice, increase the heat to medium-high and toss in the chopped chicken breast. Chop and stir.
- Note: If you find the mixture is getting too dry, then decrease the heat and/or spray the skillet with olive oil.
- Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the outside of the chicken turns brown or has a light sear.
- Finally, add frozen or fresh broccoli florets to the skillet and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the food to a bowl or meal prep container, and you’re done.
- Enjoy the tastiest chicken, brown rice and broccoli your body has been missing!
Approximate macros for 1 large serving:
548 calories, 45g protein, 49g carbs, 18g fat, 4g fiber, 2g sugar