So, when I decided to the 5-day vegan challenge, as if that wasn’t enough (lol), I also decided to get my feet wet and try some vegan baking. I’ll admit I’m not the best baker (even with animal products) yet I experiment a lot and share very little. But this recipe came out pretty dope so I’m sharing it here.
Ingredients for 12 muffins:
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or 3/4 cup if less is needed for dietary concerns)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- Wet ingredients
- 2 tablespoons milled/ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk (more may be needed but don’t be alarmed if the batter is thick)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (fresh) frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Set oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients with a fork.
- Prepare the flaxseed by mixing it with water and allowing it to thicken – about two to three minutes.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula. Note: If the batter is too thick, feel free to add a few tablespoons of almond milk until it is to your desired consistency. If you prefer less dense muffins, then you may need to add some almond milk to the recipe.
- Gently fold in blueberries and walnuts to the batter, careful not to mash them.
- Spray the muffin molds with a little nonstick cooking spray and then evenly divide the batter among the muffin molds. If desired, lightly sprinkle a little coconut sugar on top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the muffins are golden brown, or until you can pierce it with a toothpick and it come out clean.
Approximate macros for 1 of 12 muffins:
257 calories, 4g protein, 34g carbs, 12g fat, 8g fiber, 19g sugar