Here’s a simple recipe that I put together for my 5-Day Vegan challenge. I fired up my slow-cooker and tossed in some portobello to make a vegan version of one of my favorite meals growing up, pot roast. It’s what I looked forward to nearly every Sunday for dinner.
So, I took some inspiration from my mom and put this together and it came out brilliantly. Hope you enjoy.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or yam) cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cup colorful carrots (or 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 medium sized red onion
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro (or add less if desired, I’m just a huge fan of it)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or paste
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour (or about 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch with mixed 3 tablespoons water)
- 5 cups veggie stock, no sodium
- 1/4 cup Vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional, or you can use low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients into a slow cooker. Add the top, and allow room for venting, and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- When there is less than 1 hour left to cook, sample the “pot roast” and season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Serve with rice, chopped kale or enjoy it alone.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 servings (without rice):
270 calories, 10g protein, 40g carbohydrates, 9g fat, 7g fiber, 8g sugar