One of my favorite recipes to start the day and get your house smelling pretty darn good. I know it’s a simple recipe but I always feel accomplished when I make something just as good a store-bought versions. And you will too!
Feel free to make this your own and use your favorite raw nuts and/or seeds as well. Also, they now have quinoa flakes in stores that look a lot like rolled oats and they’re also gluten-free! So, that’s another option.
You definitely DO NOT have to add as many nuts to mine as I did. Lolol I kinda like for my granola to be slightly close to trail mix and higher calorie, in order to curb my appetite. But again, that’s me…
Here’s the base recipe to make your own!
Ingredients for about 5 cups of homemade granola:
- Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch of sea salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup Simple Truth raw honey (or substitute maple syrup, agave or apple honey)
- Optional garnish:
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth raw honey (drizzle)
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
Steps for Homemade Granola:
- Set oven to 325F.
- Add raw nuts to a sealable bag and crush them up (using your hands or another object).
- Add the raw nuts to a bowl, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix together.
- Then add the wet ingredients to the bowl. Thoroughly mix everything together using a spatula and ensure all the rolled oats are covered in oil and honey.
- Add parchment paper to a baking sheet, then spread the granola out on the pan. Make sure there are no large clumps, you want it flat.
- If desired, drizzle a little more honey over the top of the granola, then sprinkle cane sugar on top for crunch.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Careful not to let the oats or nuts burn.
- After baking, allow the granola to completely cool, then easily break it into pieces.
- Store the granola in an airtight container and it will be good for several weeks.
Serving size – 1/4 cup. Approximate macros for 1 of 20 servings (with optional ingredients):
176 calories, 18g carbohydrates, 10g fat, 3g protein, 8g sugar