Here’s a quick and easy take on a comfort meal favorite, paella. This version is perfect for a post-workout meal, family dinner or your weekly meal prep. Regardless of when you eat it, just make sure that it’s on your menu! Your tastebuds and muscles will thank you. Boom.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (with rice already prepared)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for 6 servings (or more):
- 1.5lb chicken breasts
- 1/2lb jumbo shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 cups cooked short grain brown rice or Arborio rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste (or minced garlic)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to the instructions given and set aside. To save time and space in the kitchen, I use a rice cooker to prepare the rice.
- Chop raw chicken breasts into small pieces. Then, chop the shrimp into small pieces.
- Set a (cast-iron) skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Once it has melted, add red onion and garlic paste. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until the edges of the red onion have browned.
- Toss in raw, chopped chicken breasts and cook until the chicken is about 75% cooked. Do not be alarmed if some parts of the chicken are still pink.
- Toss in raw shrimp and stir with wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the shrimp is about 75% cooked.
- Add paprika and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Stir.
- Then, add cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Stir and reduce heat to medium.
- Pour in chicken broth and then add saffron. Allow the contents to simmer and gently stir. Allow it cook for about 3 minutes. If you would like, add fresh lemon juice.
- Lastly, add frozen peas and stir. Allow the paella to simmer for about 5 minutes, then garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings:
401 calories, 41g protein, 41g carbohydrates, 8g fat, 5g fiber, 5g sugar