I’ll admit I was a bit skeptical when a friend invited me to sample some vegan desserts one muggy night in NYC. We walked about 15 blocks just to get there since she said it was faster than taking an Uber or the subway. And the way my metabolism is set up…yeah, I sweat just thinking about walking. Needless to say, I wasn’t “at my best” when we finally arrived at the vegan cupcake shop and I was not in the mood to try anything new…
But, she assured me they were good so I went along with it. And I’m glad I did. I found the desserts not only equally pleasing to my palate, but in some cases, even “creamier” than desserts made with animal products. This piqued my interest in these plant-based delights and I soon discovered a whole NEW way to keep my diet exciting and calorie-conscious.
Here’s my favorite fail-proof vegan cheesecake recipe. It’s impossible to dislike (especially when you can customize it)!
Makes about 10 small servings.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 7 medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups soaked, raw cashews
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (or your choice of berry)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup agave or apple bee-free honey (or less if desired)
- fresh berries
- Add raw cashews to a large bowl of water and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To a food processor, add all the ingredients for the crust. Blend until it resembles “graham cracker” crust (i.e., coarse crust). Set aside.
- Once the cashews have finished soaking, discard the water then add the cashews to a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients for the filling. Blend until very smooth, like cream.
- Build a large cheesecake, or several mini-cheesecakes by adding the crust, patting it down, then adding the filling.
- Freeze for about 1 hour (or longer), then place the cheesecake in the fridge about 30 to 45 minutes you are going to enjoy it.
Approximate macros for 1 of 10 small servings:
398 calories, 31g carbs, 28g fat, 7g protein, 4g fiber, 21g sugar