This post is also available in: Spanish
My creativity in the kitchen went to another level when I discovered that I could use common kitchen utensils in different ways. Here’s a quick, delicious and heart healthy idea for your next meal prep session or for family dinner!
If you’re looking for a way to better monitor your portions – you can’t go wrong with ideas like this!
Ingredients for 5 servings:
- 1lb extra lean ground turkey
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup steamed corn
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 1 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella
- 10 tbsp low sodium marinara or tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- chopped green onions for topping
- spray coconut oil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
Utensils: mini-loaf pan or regular muffin pan
**Remember to customize portions & ingredients to complement your diet and goals.**
- Set oven to 375F.
- Cook quinoa according to the instructions given. After cooking, allow the quinoa to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients, except for marinara, green onions and mozzarella. Use your hands to mix to ensure the meat is thoroughly mixed together.
- Spray the muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Evenly divide the mixture among 5 mini-loaf muffin holders, as demonstrated. If you are using a regular muffin pan, evenly divide the mixture among 10 muffin holders.
- Spread marinara sauce on top. Add 2 tbsp if using 5 mini-loaves, or 1 tbsp for 10 muffins.
- Top with mozzarella cheese. Add 1/4 cup for each of the 5 mini-loaves, or 1/8 cup for 10 muffins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes at 375F. Top with chopped green onions if desired. Allow the mini-meatloaves to cool before removing from the pan so that they do not break apart.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 muffins:
262 calories, 16g carbohydrates, 8g fat, 34g protein, 2g fiber, 3g sugar