Easy Steamed Bao Buns with Teriyaki Chicken
Steamed Bao Buns Recipe
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet ingredients in a second bowl, then pour it into the mixing bowl and mix together until the dough is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes. I used an electric mixer with a dough hook to knead the dough. Once the dough is no longer sticky, knead it for an additional 10 minutes by hand OR using an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Once the dough is well kneaded, roll it out on a lightly dusted surface, then form a large ball. Place the dough in a bowl, cover it up and store it in a warm, NOT hot, place to rise for at least 1 hour.
- Once the dough has nearly doubled in size, roll it out to about 1 cm in thickness. I used the top of a glass, about 4-inch in diameter, to cut out circles. Roll up the dough that is left and repeat until all the dough is used. You should create about 16 circles.
- Gently roll out each circle so it’s a little wider, then spray the top of each circle with (avocado) oil. Fold the circle in half and then use the rolling pin to gently mash down on the fold so it stays closed. Note: the oil should prevent the bao from sticking together.
- Add the bao to flattened cupcake wrappers OR cut sheets of parchment paper.
- Fill a skillet about 1/3 – 1/2 of the way with water then bring to a gentle simmer. Set your steamer basket on the skillet, then add the bao with the wrappers/parchment to the basket. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until cooked through and plump. Repeat for remaining bao.
- Stuff the bao with your favorite filling like teriyaki chicken (or shiitake). See recipe below!
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
- In a bowl, tear apart store-bought rotisserie chicken meat. Add the store-bought teriyaki sauce and mix together. For a plant based option, sauté shiitake mushrooms in a nonstick skillet using spray olive oil. Once the mushrooms have reduced in size, about 3 minutes, add the teriyaki sauce.
- Stuff the bao with teriyaki chicken or mushrooms and garnish with carrot, cucumber and cilantro.