Best of the Mediterranean Diet Meal Plan
Here’s the final meal plan in my Mediterranean Diet meal plan series! And this one is literally my favorite. It’s a meal plan with some of my favorite recipes and snacks of the Mediterranean Diet. Admittedly, it’s a bit more protein heavy than other Mediterranean Diet meal plans but you can ALWAYS customize to make it more plant-dominant if desired.
Here’s what you will need!
- Small carton blueberries or blackberries
- 2 lemons
- 2 white onions
- 2 vine tomatoes
- Red grapefruit
- Garlic bundle
- Frozen peas
- Red bell pepper
- Carton of eggs
- Chicken thighs
- Lean Spanish (or smoky) chorizo
- 1.5 lb raw shrimp
- Ground cinnamon
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Dried rosemary
- Dried oregano
- The Fit Cook Sea Blend
- Part skim ricotta cheese
- Reduced fat string cheese
- 2% cottage cheese
- Chia seeds
- Shaved almonds
- Long grain brown rice
- Whole wheat pita
- Rolled oats
- Unsweetened Almond milk
- Vanilla extract
- Vanilla whey protein powder (OPTIONAL)
- 28oz no salt added canned whole tomatoes
- Seafood stock
Overnight Chia Oats with Boiled Eggs
- In an 8oz jar or airtight container, add the ingredients for the Oats. Mix it all up and place in the fridge overnight. Note: You can prep up to 5 jars so you can enjoy throughout the week.
- When you’re ready to enjoy the oats, mix up mixture with a spoon. Add tablespoons of almond milk or water if needed to make it creamier. Add the topping and enjoy!
- For a protein boost, enjoy the oats with 2 boiled eggs. Alternatively add a scoop of your favorite lean protein powder to the oats.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.
- Wrap a slice of the prosciutto around one of the string cheese. Repeat for the other (if you decide to eat two).
- Enjoy with freshly chopped watermelon.
- Add chicken thigh pieces to a mixing bowl. Pat the pieces dry with a paper towel to remove any excess water. In a separate small bowl or cup, mix together the seasoning. Drizzle olive oil on the chicken thigh pieces, then sprinkle in the seasoning. Mix together thoroughly and let marinate for 10 – 20 minutes (or up to overnight in the fridge).
- Set a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet on medium high heat. Once hot, add olive oil, then onion and chicken thighs. Cook for 12 – 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. As the chicken cooks, add a pinch of sea salt & pepper.
- Assemble the pita at mealtime to avoid the pita bread getting soggy.
- Add tahini or yogurt to the pita. Stuff it with arugula, tomato, cucumber and the chicken. Enjoy the pita with your choice of fresh fruit like ruby red grapefruit.
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix together!
- Set a large deep skillet on medium high heat.
- Once hot, add olive oil, onions, garlic and chorizo. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until edges of the chorizo are seared and the onions have turned brown and translucent. Add the rice and seasonings. Mix together ensuring every grain of rice is covered in oil and seasoning, 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the canned whole tomatoes, not the juice. Use the back of the spatula to gently mash and explode the tomatoes in the pan to create tomato juice. Keep the heat of the skillet consistent and stir and mix everything together for about 3 to 5 minutes to create a paste. There should be no visible huge chunks of tomatoes and use the spatula to deglaze the bottom of the skillet in case some of the seasoning got stuck at the bottom.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then pour in the seafood stock. Add a pinch of sea salt & pepper and bring to a gentle simmer. Partially cover and cook for about 22 to 25 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the majority of the liquid and is almost cooked through.
- Add the raw shrimp right on top of the rice, then cover and cook for the remaining time until the rice is completely cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. All of the liquid should NOT be absorbed or evaporated – the rice needs some moisture to be creamy. Taste the rice as you go to ensure readiness. Note: monitor the liquid level of the skillet so you can add tablespoons of stock or water if needed.
- Stir everything together; the shrimp should be plump and cooked through as well. Fold in frozen peas and remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper, then garnish with fresh parsley.
- For the salad, mix together the ingredients for the dressing, drizzle over the arugula and toss together!
- Enjoy the rice with an arugula salad!
**Note: calories & macronutrient do not include the side salad**