Air Fryer Falafel Recipe
- Rinse and drain canned chickpeas. Pro-tip: after draining, spread the chickpeas on a paper towel or large towel on your kitchen table or countertop. Let the chickpeas air-dry for about 1 hour before placing in the food processor.
- Add all the ingredients for the batter to a food processor. PULSE blend until the batter is crumbly but sticks together when tightly packed. Empty the contents into a bowl and place in the fridge for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Set air-fryer to 400F.
- Use an ice-cream scooper to scoop out each falafel batter, then pack it in and form it into a round, solid ball. Repeat. Note: after you form these into balls you can move forward and place them in the air fryer – just spray them with avocado oil – for the same cooking time. If you want a crispy, crunchy coating like the original recipe, then add the coating.
- Dip each ball in egg, then in the crumbs, then place it in your air-fryer basket. If you’re cooking this in batches, ONLY coat the falafels before they go into the air-fryer to prevent the crumbs from softening. Before cooking in the air-fryer, spray with avocado oil. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mix together the ingredients for the tahini sauce.
- Allow them to cool, then enjoy with the tahini sauce. One of my favorite ways to enjoy them is on a warm wheat pita with tahini sauce, mixed greens and a roasted tomato.
Download the fitmencook app
Track your macros, plan your weekly meals, add recipes to your grocery list, as well as get access to over 500 healthy recipes by FitMenCook.