Whether you’re preparing this for meal prep or for snacking, these meatballs are a tasty and calorie-conscious treat!
CHICKEN TERIYAKI MEATBALL RECIPE
Ingredients for 15 meatballs:
- 1 1/4 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets, raw
- 1/2 cup Bragg liquid aminos (or low sodium soy)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons ginger (paste or minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- sriracha to taste
- fresh lime juice to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- sesame seeds
- fresh lime
- Set oven to 410F.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl. Using a food scale, carefully measure out each meatball, about 1.5 oz each. Roll it up in your hands and place it in a lightly greased muffin pan (recommended) or a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or foil).
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for no more than 10 minutes, overcooking will dry them out which is what you want to avoid with meal prep recipes.
- Mix together the ingredients for the sauce WITHOUT the arrowroot starch and set aside.
- Spray a (nonstick) skillet with olive oil and set on medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, toss in carrots, bell pepper and celery. Sear the veggies so that the edges are brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, careful not to overcook because you want them to have some crunch.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium, then add the arrowroot starch to the sauce. Mix together and then pour into the skillet. As soon as the sauce is added, it will begin to thicken so be sure to stir so that it does not become slimy.
- Add the meatballs and the chopped broccoli florets and fold the ingredients into the sauce, to ensure even coating. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh lime and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy immediately with a complex carbohydrate such as brown rice or quinoa, or you can evenly divide into meal prep containers.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings (without rice):
215 calories, 18g carbohydrates, 3g fat, 27g protein, 3g fiber, 12g sugar