First off, this recipe is hitting!
Secondly, my friends over at the Beef Checkoff challenged me to create two recipes using lean beef. (*Kevin hits the “EASY” button*)
As you’ve undoubtedly seen by following me in social media, integrating lean beef into my regular diet has been critical to my journey, helping me achieve my fitness goals. And yeah, I also just like it. A lot.
With that in mind, I wanted to create an easy recipe that you can easily customize – such as using a hearty carbohydrate source such as quinoa, or lower carb source such as cauliflower rice – and that even the pickiest eaters at your dinner table would enjoy.
Ingredients for 5 stuffed tomatoes:
- 1lb 93% lean beef
- 5 beefsteak tomatoes (or large garden tomatoes)
- 6 oz tomato sauce, no salt
- 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/4 cup reduced fat parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Set oven to 400F.
- Cook quinoa according to instructions given and set aside.
- Slice off the top part of each tomato (and feel free to reserve the tops as garnish). Scoop out the pulp and set it aside in a bowl.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat and add olive and garlic. Once the garlic cooks for about 2 minutes and slightly browns, toss in the onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and chop and cook using a wooden spatula to get the meat as fine as possible. As the meat cooks, add the seasonings. When the meat is nearly 85% finished cooking, about 6 to 8 minutes, toss in the cooked quinoa, tomato pulp, tomato sauce and fresh basil.
- Reduce the heat of the skillet and mix everything to together for about 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Set the hollowed-out tomatoes into a baking dish, then stuff each tomato with the mixture and top each one off with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 tomatoes:
332 calories, 21g carbs, 15g fat, 27g protein, 3g fiber, 6g sugar