One of my favorite recipes for cooking chicken in bulk, but this time using flavorful chicken thighs. Since chicken thighs are not as lean as chicken breasts, it’s important to purchase skinless thighs and trim large, visible pieces of fat in order to reduce the amount of fat in your diet.
Spiced Chicken Thigh Recipe
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 3lb chicken thighs, skinless and fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon safflower (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinches of sea salt & pepper (then to taste AFTER cooking)
- freshly chopped mint
- cracked pepper
- Set oven to 420F.
- Season the chicken thighs in a bowl and set aside and allow to marinate (at room temperature).
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of safflower oil. Once hot, toss in the garlic and veggies. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the edges of the veggies are lightly seared and softer yet still crunchy. Be careful NOT to burn the garlic. Set the veggies aside.
- Using the same skillet, lightly spray with oil (if needed), then add chicken thighs to the skillet. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Add the seared veggies back to the skillet and add a pinch or two of cracked pepper on top.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes. Tip: set the oven to broil for the final 2 minutes of cooking.
- Once finished baking, garnish with mint and pepper.
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 servings (of 6oz chicken):
253 calories, 3g carbohydrates, 33g protein, 12g fat, <1g fiber, 1g sugar