When you’re in a pinch but needing something tasty, there’s nothing like a slow-cooker recipe to come to the rescue.
Slow cookers are among the best “man cooking” machines. Just toss in the ingredients, walk away and return to a masterpiece. Plus, you can make some really hearty, muscle-building meals.
So, crank up the slow cooker for some Latin-flair to make this delicious, protein-rich chicken and quinoa tortilla soup. It’s an amazing recipe for family dinner and to chase those extra gains in the gym!
Ingredients for at least 6 servings:
- 2lb raw chicken breasts
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or brown basmati rice)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 vine tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 can (15oz) black beans (drained)
- 15oz frozen corn
- 1/3 cup diced hatch chile (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1.5 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- chopped avocado
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- Add all of the ingredients – except for the garnish – into a slow cooker and give the mixture a hearty stir.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 3 to 4 hours, or set it to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours. Cooking with high heat in less time will yield more of a soup-like consistency; whereas cooking with low heat for a longer time will create a thicker, stew-like broth.
- Once the soup has cooked for about 80% of the desired cook time, remove the chicken breasts with tongs and set them on a plate. Pull the chicken apart using forks, and then place the chicken back in the slow cooker to finish cooking for the remaining time.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with freshly chopped avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
Approximate macros for 6 servings:
474 calories, 50g protein, 52g carbs, 8g fat, 9g fiber, 10g sugar