When you’re in a pinch with little time and you don’t want to be stuck with a pile of dishes, use slow cooker recipes! They’re great because they allow you to multitask while your food is being cooked. And no worries if you don’t have a slow cooker – simply transform your rice cooker into a slow cooker so you can still get the job done!
Great hearty meal for a family dinner or your post-workout meal prep.
Ingredients for 5 servings:
- 2 cups uncooked sprouted brown Basmati rice
- 1 lb chicken breast (chopped into pieces)
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp (peeled, deveined, chopped)
- 1 diced Roma tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 4oz green chiles
- 5 cup chicken broth (no salt)
- 8oz tomato sauce (no salt)
- 1.25 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Spray the inside of the rice cooker with olive oil.
- Then add all of the ingredients to the rice cooker.
- Briefly stir the mixture with a spatula, close the lid and select the appropriate cooking setting. I set my rice cooker to “brown rice” and it cooked for about 50 minutes. Just ensure the rice is neither undercooked (crunchy) nor overcooked (mushy).
- Once it has completed cooking, serve immediately or place in meal prep containers to enjoy throughout the week.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
432 calories, 35g protein, 52g carbs, 10g fat, 4g fiber, 5g sugar