Sometimes you just don’t have a lot of time…well, actually more often than not, we find ourselves pressed for time for some reason or another. And no other time is more pressing than the morning when you’re rushing just to get out the door. And leaving on an empty stomach can only add to the pressures of the day.
That’s why I love meals that “cook themselves.”
Steps are simple – just toss everything into a skillet and place it in the oven to cook. What’s better than having breakfast prepared while you’re getting ready for the day? Uh, I guess getting to school or work on time.
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup store-bought or homemade salsa
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup corn
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro
- avocado slices
- whole wheat or grain tortillas
- Set oven to 420F.
- Spray a small 6.5 inch or 8 inch cast-iron skillet with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Add salsa, black beans and corn to the skillet and then mix it together.
- Form 2 holes in the mixture for the eggs, then crack the two eggs into the holes.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and pepper and then bake for about 25 minutes, or until the egg white has completely cooked.
- Top with fresh cilantro and avocado.
- Enjoy with whole grain or whole wheat tortillas.
Approximate macros for 1 serving without tortillas and avocado:
390 calories, 22g protein, 44g carbohydrates, 9g fat, 8g fiber, 10g sugar