Every now and then I have a craving for chili. Even though it is 100+F here in Texas, I can still go for a bowl of chili. And with football season finally here, I figured I’d start sharing some of my favorite tailgating recipes so that your party can be just as – or even more – exciting than the game itself!
Oh, and Hook’em horns!
Ingredients for at least 8 servings:
- 2 lbs extra lean ground bison, I used NorthStar 100% Ground Bison (or your choice of protein or hearty, fibrous vegetable)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped shallot
- 3 vine tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 orange chili pepper (chopped, with seeds removed)**
- 2/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- coconut oil spray
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- sea salt & pepper to taste
(**) – denotes optional ingredient
- Spray a large, deep skillet with coconut oil and set on medium high heat. When the pan is hot, toss in all of the ingredients except for the chicken broth, tomatoes and bison. Stir with a wooden spatula and ensure that all sides of the veggies are seared.
- Then toss in the seasonings and stir quickly with a spatula to ensure the veggies are not burning.
- Toss in the bison and chop and cook until the bison is cooked and there are no visible pink areas.
- Add chopped tomatoes and chicken broth and stir. Once the chili is thoroughly mixed, reduce heat to medium and cover and cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy immediately with your favorite complex carbohydrate or fresh, raw vegetables!
Approximate macros for 1 of 8 servings:
149 calories, 30g protein, 6g carbohydrates, 2.5g fat, 1g fiber, 2.75g sugar