If you’re in a pinch and need a cheap, easy and effective muscle building recipe, always remember the staples – tuna & potatoes! You can never go wrong with this combo to get lean and build quality muscle.
Also, if you’re like me and often times have leftovers at the end of the week, besides throwing everything into a frittata, making patties is also a great option. Plus they make great snacks!
For this particular recipe, I used leftover whipped red potatoes. Great way to avoid wasting food!
Prep time: 1 hour (if potatoes need to cook)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for at least 6 patties:
- 10oz wild albacore tuna in water, drained (no salt)
- 500g baked red potato
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumble
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dill
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Set oven to 400F. Wash dirt from red potatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until they are soft and be easily crushed with a fork or masher.
- Mash and mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. If you find the batter is too wet or loose, feel free to add tablespoons of wheat breadcrumbs, panko crumbs or even oatmeal to help make the batter more solid yet still malleable.
- Scoop out a small handful of the batter and form patties of equal size. Careful not to make them too big as they will be a little harder to cook and can potentially break apart in the skillet.
- Place a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and spray (generously) with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Once the skillet is hot, add the patties to the pan and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until the edges are golden brown, then flip the patty over and repeat. Remember to ensure the patties are not sticking to the pan.
- Once the patties have finished cooking, remove them from the skillet and serve immediately. **If you placed the patties int the skillet and they were too wet/soft to flip, I recommend placing the skillet (if possible) in the oven and baking for about 15 at 400F or until the top of the patties are golden brown.**
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 patties:
203 calories, 16g protein, 17g carbs, 8g fat, 2g fiber, 1g sugar