This is a remixed version of an older Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Following a lower carbohydrate diet doesn’t necessarily mean you hav eto give up the food you enjoy; rather, you just need to be more creative and thoughtful when it comes to preparing them. Here, I’ve swapped potatoes with cauliflower and removed the black beans without compromising the flavor, or the hearty, warm feeling you get when you eat shepherd’s pie.
Note: I use ground lamb in this recipe since original recipes include lamb, AND so that I can easily tweak this meal for my ketogenic diet; however, lamb is not required. If you are following a lower fat diet, then feel free to use a leaner ground meat.
I purchased all of the ingredients from my local Kroger grocery store.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 25oz (708g) raw cauliflower florets
- 7oz 2% Greek yogurt (swap with coconut cream for non-dairy alternative)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb Private Selection ground lamb (or use lean ground turkey or beef for more than 50% reduction in fat calories, or use veggie ground if vegan)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, carrots and corn
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Kroger spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons no salt tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- spray butter or olive oil to brown the top of the shepherd’s pie
- Set oven to 400F.
- Add water to pot with a steamer basket, then bring it to a simmer. Add raw cauliflower to the steamer basket. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the cauliflower can be easily pierced with a fork. Remove the cauliflower from the basket and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, mash the cauliflower using a fork or potato masher, then add Greek yogurt and garlic powder. Mix it up using a spatula, then season to taste with sea salt & pepper.
- Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat, then add olive garlic, bell pepper and red onion. Cook for about 3 minutes until the red onion turns brown and be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add lamb to the skillet, then chop and mix it up using a wooden spatula. Cook for about a minute, then toss in the seasonings. Cook for about 2 minutes, continually chopping and stirring the meat.
- Then, add BBQ sauce, mustard and no salt tomato sauce. Mix it up. Add the frozen vegetables and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the mixture to mini-baking tins or to medium-size baking dish. Top the mixture with the cauliflower mash, then garnish the top with pepper and/or spray butter or olive oil if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 400F.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 servings:
446 calories, 29g protein, 20g carbs, 26g fat, 5g fiber, 10g sugar