As I continue to experiment with the ketogenic diet, I’m discovering the various ways I can still enjoy the foods I really love with much less carbs.
I’ve used portobello mushroom caps for burgers but it was not until recently that I discovered I could also use them as taco shells. Check it out!
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 5oz raw chicken breast (or chicken thighs to increase the amount of fat)
- 2 slices thick cut bacon (uncured, nitrate free)
- 2 large Portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of pepper
- Taco garnish:
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 3 heaping tablespoons pico de gallo
- 6 tablespoons mashed avocado
- fresh chopped cilantro
- Fire up your grill (or set an oven to 400F).
- Remove the stem from the Portobello mushroom cap with a knife and scrape out the inside using a spoon.
- Spray/rub the grill with olive oil then place the mushroom caps on the grill (or in the oven set at 400F) for about 10 minutes.
- After baking, place the mushroom caps on a paper towel to remove the excess water so they will not be soggy when eating.
- Cut the slice of bacon into pieces, and then cook the pieces in a nonstick skillet. When the bacon has nearly finished cooking, toss in the chicken breast and cook it using the grease from the bacon.
- While the chicken is cooking, season it in the skillet with cumin and pepper.
- Chop up the chicken breast into small pieces, then build your taco! Add cabbage, chicken, pico de gallo, mashed avocado then crispy bacon.
Approximate macros for 1 serving of 2 tacos:
469 calories, 49g protein, 25g carbs, 20g fat, 13g fiber, 7g sugar