If you’ve never had homemade Spanish rice before, then you need to add it to your list of things to try right away. You need this kind of food in your life. Growing up in Texas, I’ve met a lot of people who have decadent family recipes for Spanish rice and their version is always the best…and quite frankly it likely is at the time until you try someone else’s.
So, I’m “throwing my hat in the ring” to give y’all my version of a delicious Spanish rice. This is a vegan-friendly base recipe. Make it your own and add your choice of protein such as chicken, tofu, beef or even a white fish.
Healthy Spanish Rice Recipe
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 275g (roughly 6 small) tomatoes, raw
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large shallot, diced (or 1/3 cup diced red onion)
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati rice (you can substitute with brown rice or jasmine rice)
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 lb cooked chicken meat, breast (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of sea salt & pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Set oven to 420F. Place the raw tomatoes in a cast iron skillet (or baking sheet) and roast for 30 minutes. Once finished, remove them from the skillet and set the tomatoes aside.
- Using the same skillet, set it on low-medium heat, then add olive oil, garlic and shallot. Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the seasonings (minus the sea salt & pepper) to the skillet and “bloom” the seasonings for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high heat and add the tomatoes. Gently mash them with a spatula to create a sauce and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until you have a fragrant smelling tomato sauce/paste.
- Add the uncooked rice to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the veggie stock and add a few pinches of sea salt & pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low so there is a slight simmer, then cover and cook for at least 25 minutes unbothered. If you suspect the rice is drying out, simply add about 1/4-1/3 cup veggie stock to the skillet to prevent it from burning.
- After 25 minutes, gently stir it up, then add in your choice of protein, if desired.
- Add garnish. Serve immediately.
Note: Serving size will be about 1/3 cup WITHOUT the added protein.**
Approximate macros for 1 of 6 servings with added chicken:
230g calories, 26g carbohydrates, 5g fat, 20g protein, 1g fiber, 1g sugar