This post is also available in: Spanish
This is a delicious after-school, after work or in-between meals snack! Filling, delicious and healthy.
Combining different styles and cultures in meals is a great way to bring creativity to your diet. This is a fusion dish where Mediterranean-inspired cuisine (hummus) meets Latin-cuisine (quesadilla) – flavor overload.
Ingredients for 2 chicken quesadillas and 2 mushroom quesadillas:
- 1/4 cup homemade red pepper hummus
- 10oz chicken breast raw
- 1 large Portobello mushroom cap (chopped into pieces)
- 4 small 100-calorie multigrain tortillas
- 1 small avocado (sliced into 4 equal portions)
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- fresh cilantro (garnish)
- pico de gallo (garnish)
- coconut oil spray
- Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil spray and set on medium-high heat.
- Sear 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in the skillet, then toss in chopped mushrooms. Sear and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring quickly with a spatula so that the mushroom does not completely wilt. Set the mushroom aside in a separate bowl.
- Repeat Step 2 but instead of adding mushrooms, add chicken breast. Cook the chicken for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the meat is white when cut and the juices run clear.
- Chop vegetables. Thinly slice red onions, chop up fresh cilantro and remove the pit from the avocado and cut into thin slices.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) of red pepper hummus on each wheat tortilla.
- On one side of the tortilla, add half of chopped chicken breast (or half of sautéed mushrooms), a few red onion slices, one tablespoon goat cheese, a fourth portion of avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Fold the quesadilla in half.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Allow the skillet to heat up.
- Add the quesadilla to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure to press down on the quesadilla using a spatula so that it flattens out.
- Remove from the skillet and enjoy with fresh pico de gallo, Greek yogurt or salsa.
Approximate macros for 1 chicken quesadilla using 5oz raw chicken breast:
377 calories, 41g protein, 27g carbohydrates, 13g fat, 7g fiber, 3g sugar
Approximate macros for 1 vegetarian quesadilla using Portobello mushrooms:
240 calories, 9g protein, 30g carbohydrates, 11g fat, 8g fiber, 3g sugar